Search This Blog

For the people of Wallingford...

For the People of Wallingford - It's your town; get informed, get involved

Monday, August 15, 2011

RECORD JOURNAL FORUMS - Aug. 11, 2011: Residents petition parking lot agreement

There is a thread over on the Forums pages of the Record Journal website titled Aug. 11, 2011: Residents petition parking lot agreement where there is some very sharp but engaged opinion and viewpoint on the current subject and I recommend people take a look at the thoughts that are being expressed there. (In case people are unfamiliar with my screen name I am GUNDERSTONE on the board.)

The news story itself can be found via Wallingford residents petition parking lot agreement

I have stated my thoughts on this; I still do not believe it is in the best interest for the town to leverage $500,000.00 in tax money to improve private property for the use of municipal parking.

We have had an agreement in place for years there that never involved a major investment like this and I believe we could come to a new agreement along similar terms – I don’t believe the deal needs to be sweetened.

If we are interested in using $500,000.00 in tax money to further augment and improve available municipal parking downtown we have the entire Wooding-Caplan lot that could use some serious maintenance and upkeep. Investing the money there, on our own property, would go a long way towards making sure there are more available spaces to use for patrons of the businesses there.

I am open to a better argument as to why using the money on the private parking area behind Simpson Court makes sense and has benefits down the road but I haven’t heard it.

No comments:

Post a Comment