Search This Blog

For the people of Wallingford...

For the People of Wallingford - It's your town; get informed, get involved

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Technology related Strategic Plan items removed from the 2012/2013 Board of Education budget

The following is a list of Technology related items from the system’s Strategic Plan that were removed from the Board of Education budget request for the 2012 / 2013 fiscal year:

High

Update computers in library

$  60,000.00

Middle

Update computers in library

$  60,000.00

Elementary

Update computers in library

$  25,000.00

Elementary Update Teacher Laptops

$125,000.00

System Update Network Servers $  35,000.00
System Upgrade Business Office Computers $  12,000.00
System Replace IT Van $  30,000.00
High Classroom Projection / Sound Devices $  60,000.00
Middle

Classroom Projection / Sound Devices

$  60,000.00

Elementary Classroom Projection / Sound Devices

$  30,000.00

High Laptops for students of interventionists $ 13,200.00
Middle Laptops for students of interventionists $ 46,200.00
Grand total NOT funded

$556,400.00

Anyone that has read my blogs, any of the five I write, knows that I am very passionate about Technology.

Without it, we would not have seen all the advances we’ve seen at an exponential level over the past couple of decades.

Without educating our children about it and on it they WILL be left behind.

I am not suggesting half a million dollars is cheap; it isn’t.

When compared to the full 145 million dollar budget, it is.

When you understand that an increase of $556,400.00 spread out over all the taxpayers of Wallingford costs the average residential homeowner an additional $30.00 for this year (I’ll explain that in a second) how could we NOT afford to make the investment?

Technology does need to be upgraded and replaced but not annually. If this investment was made as I outline above and included in this year’s appropriation to the schools it would not be there next year. It is not a true one time cost as down the line it needs to be done again but it is not a reoccurring cost that happens each year either.

So I ask you again, how could we NOT afford to consider this?

2 comments:

  1. Are there alternative things to cut? How old are the things that are in need of being replaced? That info would be helpful.

    I agree that we need to change with the times- but I don't see firsthand how these things would improve the education that my son gets. Larger classrooms would be a problem for me...

    Technology is a slippery slope- especially with schooling. Textbooks need new editions- but technology is nearly obsolete before it goes into mass distribution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Printed textbooks are more expensive than their e-counterparts and they are more easily updated than purchasing a new book every X number of years.

      "Obsolete" technology is relative to the user - I am on the bleeding edge but I can get usefulness out of a four year old system like the netbook I am using to respond to my blog post and your comment from the train - I am leveraging my two year old smart phone for my 3G wireless access (as that is the only network that this "old" phone can get access to).

      Delete