Search This Blog

For the people of Wallingford...

For the People of Wallingford - It's your town; get informed, get involved

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Getting the details on the Simpson Court deal

I am working on getting the details on the Simpson Court deal and I will put them online as soon as I can get them.

As with most things in town, I think I am going to have to request the paper documents and pay for them because I believe they are not readily available on line but be that as it may we need to have this information and the details out there.

There was a story in Wednesday’s Record Journal (August 31, 2011) regarding one of the owners and his decision to pull out of the year to year deal if the referendum is successful and the vote decision is to reject the deal that the Town Council has cut here.

That is Mr. McGuire’s prerogative – it is his property. If I were him and had this better deal in front of me (the one being proposed) I might not (at first) be all that excited about going back to something less. It’ll be up to him to decide if he wants to enforce and restrict his parking to the renters and customers in his building as well to fully maintain and upkeep his own lot, a lot of which right now the town does instead of him under the current deal.

People are going to take the slant of blaming the petitioners for the downfall of this deal if it goes that way just as some did regarding the Wooding-Caplan property.

Let’s be clear, the petitioners stopped nothing; the results of their work allowed the referendum to happen – the voters said no to the deal on the table at the time.

The Town Council could have re-visited one of the other three plans or come up with something new. Instead they’ve taken no action over four plus years.

The blame there is not on the voters or the petitioners.

There are a lot of details in the Simpson Court deal that every tax paying resident should review on their own. That is why I am trying to get that copy and post it online.

I am against the deal as it is presented currently as I don’t believe it is the best deal that Wallingford could make. We could and should do better. There are other options available as far as overall parking is concerned and if an agreement with the tenants at Simpson Court is still desired it can be re-done so that the town gets a little better deal and it could still be fair and somewhat lucrative for the property owners too.

I am not against them getting a little benefit for their sacrifice but the town benefit should be at least equal and presently it is not.

Having said that, I encourage you to get the details and make up your own mind.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment